Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Commitments at Synovus
- 144,000 sqaure feet of LEED qualified space (2 Gold, 1 Silver and 1 eligible).
- 13 electric vehicle charging stations.
- Approximately 810,000 square feet of space (more than 25% of footprint) fitted with LED lighting.
- More than 132,000 accounts receive electronic statements.
- Focus on education, needs-based, and health and wellness service opportunities
- 30,000 hours volunteered and 4,300 Here Matters projects completed in 2018
- $915,000 contributed by team members and corporate giving to the United Way in 2018
- $127,000 Jack Parker Scholarship dollars awarded through 126 university scholarships in 2018.
- 2018: More than $2 million donated to more than 500 non-profits and agencies.
Culture and People
- One of American Banker’s “Best Banks to Work for” in 2018.
- Benefits include health/wellness, retirement/401k match, tuition reimbursement.
- Inclusion & Diversity: a CEO-sponsored initiative to increase minority representation in the company, female representation in leadership, and improve inclusiveness in six areas identified in a team member inclusion survey.
CRA, Community Development and Financial Inclusion
- “Satisfactory” CRA rating (Nov. 2017).
- $100 million Affordable Mortgage Program for first-time homebuyers and other borrowers who may require assistance to purchase a residence.
- No-fee retail checking accounts offered.
- 2017-18 school year: 4,900 hours of financial literacy and education provided to 1,265 students at 10 schools in Columbus.
Board of Directors
- 13 of 14 directors are independent.
- 7 current or former CEOs.
- 12 audit committee financial experts.
- Collectively more than 200 years of banking and financial services experience.
- In-depth experience in business strategy, insurance, investment management, commercial real estate and risk management.
- Expertise in legal, regulatory, risk management and accounting matters.
- ISS Quality Score of 3.
- Recognized as one of the country’s 10 “Most Reputable Banks” by American Banker and the Reputation Institute for four consecutive years.
Oversight of Strategy and Risk
- Board of directors focuses on strategic planning and direction, with oversight of long-term strategy within approved risk appetite parameters.
- Risk Committee oversees enterprise risk management and compliance framework and processes, including emerging risks.
- Comprehensive Information Risk Policy governs security and use of all company and customer data.
Management of Legal and Regulatory Environment
- No material losses resulting from legal proceedings associated with fraud, theft, regulatory penalties or violation of industry regulations.
- The company’s whistleblower policy includes a third-party operated whistleblower report line.