Meet our team
D. Wayne Akins
Executive Vice President, Chief Community Banking & Wealth Services Officer
Akins began his career with Synovus at Sea Island Bank as a Commercial Lender in 1988. After serving in leadership roles at other financial institutions, he returned to Sea Island Bank in 1997 as President and Chief Executive Officer. He was named Chief Retail Banking Officer in October 2014, Chief Community Banking Officer in December 2018, and Chief Community & Wealth Services Officer of Synovus in October 2022.
- Bachelor of Science, Agriculture Economics, University of Georgia
- MBA, University of Georgia
- Consumer Banking Association Graduate School of Bank Management, University of Virginia
Akins has served on numerous charitable and civic organizations, including the University of Georgia Alumni Association Board of Directors, Leadership Georgia and Fellowship of Christian Athletes Southeastern Region Board of Directors.
- Recipient, Synovus James H. Blanchard Leadership Award, 2011
- Recipient, University of Georgia College of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences Award of Excellence
Akins is responsible for developing, overseeing and executing the strategic direction of Synovus' community bank and wealth services business lines. This combined team includes Synovus’ geographic leadership team, commercial banking, the third-party payments that include the bank’s acquiring and sponsorship businesses, mortgage, private wealth, trust, investment/financial management, securities, Creative Financial and The Family Office.
Most recently, Akins directed the creation and development of Synovus’ commercial “banking-as-a-service” strategy through Maast, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Synovus.