Meet our team
Meet our team in Birmingham
Nelson S. Bean
A Birmingham native, Nelson joined First Commercial Bank a few years after graduating from college and has never looked back. He is not only a leader within our local community, but a champion of community involvement throughout the entire region.
Work in our community
- Board Member, United Way of Central Alabama
- Board Member, VIVA Health, Inc.
- Board Member, Leadership Birmingham
- Board Member, WoodlawnFoundation
- Past President, Kiwanis Club of Birmingham
Senior Director, Private Wealth Management
Jimmy's no stranger to Birmingham, having been born and raised there. He also got his MBA from the University of Alabama Birmingham, so it's safe to say he's familiar with the market. With 24 years of bank and finance experience under his belt, he's excited to put that knowledge to work as he leads a team of advisors with the goal of helping Synovus clients achieve their financial goals.
Work in our Community
- Better Basics, Board Member: 2020–present
- Monday Morning Quarterback Club: 2008–present
- Boy Scout Troop 320, Assistant Scoutmaster: 2019–present
Laura R. Clarke
Executive Vice President Commercial Banking
Laura joined Synovus in 2017 with more than 30 years’ experience in the financial services industry. Her comprehensive understanding of underwriting and loan structuring for middle market commercial customers and her expertise coordinating with strategic partners, credit risk partners, and implementation teams enable her to provide creative and often unique solutions to address complex client issues. Laura earned her bachelor’s in Commerce with a concentration in Finance and Marketing from the University of Virginia, and her MBA from Boston College. Active in the Birmingham community, Laura has been a United Way Visiting Allocation Team member for 15 years.
Work in our community
- ARC of Shelby County Board – Board Treasurer, Board Compliance Officer
- Laura Crandall Brown Ovarian Cancer Foundation - Board Member
- STAIR (Start The Adventure In Reading) – past Board Member and Treasurer
- Oak Mountain Schools – PTO, Athletic Boosters, and Academic Partners
- Girl Scout Troop 188 – past Treasurer
- Birmingham Area Boy Scouts
- Samford Brock School of Business Advisory Board