J. William (Bill) Douglas, Jr.
Synovus Regional CEO, President and Chief Executive Officer of AFB&T
Douglas joined Athens First in 1986 as Senior Vice President of Banking Operations and became Executive Vice President and Chief Banking Officer in 1995. He was named President and Chief Executive Officer in 2002, the sixth person to hold that position since the bank’s founding in 1929. In 2009, Douglas was named Chairman of the Board of Directors of AFB&T. He was instrumental in expanding the reach of the bank by opening Augusta First Bank and Trust in the Augusta, Georgia market.
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, University of South Carolina
Stonier Graduate School of Banking, University of Delaware
• Chairman, Athens Classic Center Authority (Athens Civic Center)
• Board of Trustees, Athens Regional Health Services
• Advisory Board, Piedmont College
• Past Chairman, Athens Clarke County Hospital Authority
• Chairman, Athens Area Community Foundation
• Past President, Athens YMCA and Board Member
• Past President and Trustee, Foundation of Excellence in Public Education for Athens-Clarke County
• Board Member, Athens Area Chamber of Commerce
• Board member, Athens Health Plan Select
• Past President, Athens Country Club
• Chairman, Athens-Clarke County 2011 SPLOST
• Synovus’ James H. Blanchard Leadership Award, 2013
• Northeast Georgia Boy Scouts Distinguished Citizen Award
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
Douglas oversees AFB&T (Athens and Augusta, Georgia), in addition to Citizens First Bank (Rome, Georgia); Georgia Bank and Trust (Calhoun and Cartersville, Georgia); Cohutta Banking Co.(Georgia Division); Sea Island Bank (Statesboro, Metter and Savannah, Georgia); Coastal Bank, Brunswick, Georgia; First Coast Community Bank, Fernandina Beach, Florida; and Synovus Bank of Jacksonville.