Kessel D. Stelling, Jr.
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Stelling began his career with Synovus in March 2006 when the company purchased Riverside Bancshares, Inc., and merged it with Bank of North Georgia, headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia. In June 2008, he was promoted to Synovus Regional CEO for the Atlanta market. Stelling was named Synovus President and Chief Operating Officer in February 2010 and was named President and Chief Executive Officer in October 2010. He became Chairman of the Board in January 2012.
B.B.A., Banking and Finance, University of Georgia
Graduate School of Banking of the South, Louisiana State University
Honorary Doctorate in Business Administration, University of South Carolina
- Treasurer, Executive Board, Financial Services Roundtable Board of Directors
- Vice Chairman, Board of Regents, University System of Georgia
- Immediate Past Chairman, Dean’s Advisory Council of the University of Georgia Terry College of Business
- Board Member, Georgia Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Character Award from the Robert K. Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership, 2014
- Blue Key Service Award, University of Georgia Chapter of the Blue Key National Honor Society, 2013
- Named to list of the “100 Most Influential Georgians” by Georgia Trend Magazine every year since 2009
- "Distinguished Alumni Award” by the University of Georgia Terry College of Business, 2009
Summary of Responsibilities:
As Chairman and CEO of Synovus, a $27 billion asset bank, Stelling leads a talented team of bankers, investment professionals, and support teams in developing strategies designed to drive growth. Stelling guides a team consisting of commercial, retail, corporate, and financial management services professionals in building long-term relationships while also ensuring the company remains focused on fostering a great working environment, effectively managing risk, reducing expenses, and increasing shareholder value.