Kessel D. Stelling, Jr.
Chief Executive Officer
Stelling began his banking career with Synovus in March 2006 when the company purchased Riverside Bancshares, Inc., and merged with Bank of North Georgia, headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia. He was selected as Chairman and CEO of the combined banks in 2006. In June 2008, he was promoted to Synovus Regional CEO for the Atlanta market. Stelling was named Synovus President and Chief Operating Officer in October 2009. Stelling was named President and Chief Executive Officer in February 2010. He became Chairman of the Board in 2011.
B.B.A., Banking and Finance, University of Georgia, 1978
Graduate School of Banking of the South, Louisiana State University, 1988
Honorary Doctorate in Business Administration, University of South Carolina, 2013
- Board Member, Sixth Congressional District of the University System of Georgia Board of Regents
- Chairman, Dean’s Advisory Council of the University of Georgia Terry College of Business
- Board Member, Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member, Georgia Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member, The Georgian Club
- Advisory Board Member, Cobb Community Foundation
- Named to list of the “100 Most Influential Georgians” in Georgia Trend Magazine in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013
- Distinguished Alumni Award” by the University of Georgia Terry College of Business, 2009
- Blue Key Service Award, University of Georgia Chapter of the Blue Key National Honor Society, 2013
As President and CEO of Synovus, Stelling provides leadership in establishing the overall business objectives, policies and strategic plans to accomplish profitability, efficiency and growth for Synovus and its divisions. Stelling leads the company’s strategy for creating long-term shareholder return on investment, managing risk, facilitating deposit growth and caring for team members and customers.