Child Care Tax Credit Payments
Advance Child Tax Credit payments are early payments from the IRS of 50 percent of the estimated amount of the Child Tax Credit that you may properly claim on your 2021 tax return during the 2022 tax filing season. The IRS will begin disbursing advance Child Tax Credit payments on July 15. After that, payments will be disbursed on a monthly basis through December 2021.
The IRS has published Frequently Asked Questions to answer a wide range of questions including “How do I qualify for advance Child Tax Credit Payments?” and “What do I do if I think the amount of my advance Child Tax Credit is incorrect?”
At IRS.gov, you can also:
- Manage Payments (check enrollment status and update bank account information)
- Submit information as a non-filer
- Check eligibility
Please note: Some customers who used a third party to prepare their taxes and received an advance of their refund from the third party may experience a delay in receiving the child tax credit payments. In this case, the IRS may send the payment to the preparer to then send to the taxpayer. Make sure you’ve updated your bank account information at IRS.gov to receive funds as quickly as possible.
Beware: Scam artists are ready for CTC payments
Be on the lookout for scam artists trying to use Advance Child Tax Credit payments as a cover for schemes to steal personal information and money.
- The IRS doesn't initiate contact by email, text messages, or social media channels to request personal or financial information.
- Watch out for emails with attachments or links claiming to have special information about Advance Child Tax Credit payments or refunds of the Child Tax Credit.
- Synovus will never contact you via phone, text, or email requesting personal information. Do not reply to text or email messages requesting personal information including your Social Security Number, credit or debit card numbers, or username and password. If a caller requests this information, hang up and contact the bank through a trusted number to verify the request.