- News Releases
- Synovus Receives 19 Greenwich Excellence Awards
- Synovus Announces Quarterly Stock Dividend for Synovus’ Common Stock
- Gowen Named Chief Information Security Officer
- Synovus Presents Chairman's Awards
- Synovus Presents Circle of Excellence Sales Awards
- Synovus Announces Earnings for the Fourth Quarter
- Synovus Ranked Among Nation’s Top Financial Institutions For Small Business Loans
- Synovus Announces Earnings for Third Quarter 2014
- Synovus Reports Earnings for the Second Quarter of 2014
- Synovus Financial Corp. Announces One-for-Seven Reverse Stock Split
- Synovus Announces Quarterly Stock Dividend for Synovus’ Series C Preferred Stock
|Synovus Celebrates 125 Years of Serving Customers and Communities
October 10, 2013, Columbus, GA – Synovus (NYSE: SNV), the Columbus, Georgia-based financial services company, today announced it will celebrate 125 years as a banking organization through a series of events across the company’s five-state footprint.
Synovus began as a community bank in Columbus on October 31, 1888, and is now one of the largest financial institutions in the Southeast, providing commercial and retail banking solutions to customers in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
The company traces its beginnings to a single act of kindness, when an employee at the Eagle and Phenix Textile Mill in Columbus tangled her dress in factory machinery, causing money sewn into the hem to spill on the floor. The mill worker believed that was the most secure place to keep her savings, but mill executives offered instead to keep her money in the company safe and pay monthly interest. They soon provided this service to every employee, which laid the foundation for Synovus.
“Since our founding, we have remained committed to serving others and helping individuals, businesses, and communities prosper,” said Kessel Stelling, Chairman and CEO of Synovus. “Celebrating 125 years in business is certainly a significant milestone for any company, but this anniversary is especially meaningful considering the challenges in our recent history. We are grateful for the loyalty of our shareholders, customers, and team members, and deeply appreciate the community partnerships we have built through the years. We look forward to many more years of service to others.”
Anniversary celebration events throughout October and November include:
Synovus is a financial services company with approximately $27 billion in assets based in Columbus, Georgia. Synovus’ divisions provide commercial and retail banking, investment, and mortgage services to customers through 29 locally branded divisions, 280 offices, and 375 ATMs in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, and Tennessee. See Synovus Bank on the web at www.synovus.com, on twitter @synovusbank, and LinkedIn. Equal Housing Lender .